Employment, education and skills

We want to support our armed forces community to achieve their ambitions and get the support they need. You can find out about education and training options to help you get started.


British Forces Resettlement Services (BFRS)

The BFRS helps the ex-armed forces with their move into civilian life. It's open to service leavers, reserve forces, veterans and civilian Ministry of Defence (MoD) employees. It's also open to their partners and families.

You can find out more about the courses they offer on the BFRS website or by calling (0116) 254 5477.

Career Transitions Partnership (CTP)

CTP offer value for money courses for service leavers which are MoD approved. Find out about CTP courses.  


LifeWorks is a fully funded five-day course. It's provided by the Royal British Legion Industries. It equips ex-armed forces personnel with the tools to get into and stay in a job that's right for them.

Find out more about LifeWorks or call 0800 319 6844.

Regular Forces Employment Agency (RFEA)

The RFEA is an employment charity. They help armed forces service leavers to find and stay in an job for the rest of their working lives.

Find out more about RFEA.

The Warrior Programme

The Warrior Programme is a three day training programme. It gives you practical, effective tools and ways to improve performance and overcome any issues you may have. It also includes 12 months support and signposting.

They also run residential programmes for veterans and their adult family members.

Find out more about the Warrior Programme or call 0560 204 3180.

UCAS - attending university

UCAS offers advice when looking to apply for higher education. This includes support for service children, veterans and service leavers. Find out more about UCAS.

University support - Naval Families Federation (NFF)

The NFF aims to support more young people from serving families into higher education. Find out about the NFF.


Barnsley Council

We support our armed forces community and want them to achieve their ambitions.

There's lots of roles to choose from with us. View our job vacancies.

British Forces Resettlement Services (BFRS) 

The BFRS helps the armed forces community with their move into civilian life. It's open to service leavers, reserve forces, veterans and civilian MoD employees. It's also open to their partners and families.

The BFRS hold career events throughout the UK. These bring the armed forces community together with employers, training providers and support services.

You can find out more on the BFRS website or by calling (0116) 254 5477.

Career Transition Partnership (CTP)

The CTP is the name of a scheme from the MoD and Right Management. Leavers from the forces at any rank can access resettlement support, career advice and training.

CTP is the official provider of armed forces resettlement. Ex-servicemen and women can receive support from the CTP for up to two years post discharge.

Forces Families Jobs 

Forces Families Jobs provides jobs and training for family members of currently serving UK military personnel. Find out more about Forces Families Jobs.  

Jobcentre Plus

All former service personnel have access to the full range of Jobcentre Plus services.

Have you served in the armed forces at any time within the last three years? If so, you may be able to apply for early access to their work programme.

Find out more about Jobcentre Plus services or contact 0800 055 6688. 

NHS Employers

NHS Employers support the armed forces community to secure jobs within the NHS. Find out more on the NHS Employers website.

Forces Employment

Forces Employment provide ex-forces jobs and career advice. They have thousands of jobs from employers who value those who have served. They also have a families programme to provide advice for civilian partners of serving armed forces and ex-service personnel.

South Yorkshire Police 

South Yorkshire Police have pledged to support the employment of veterans of all ages. Find jobs at South Yorkshire Police.   

Walking with the Wounded (WWTW)

WWTW supports those who've served in the armed forces and their families. They provide veterans with independence through employment. You can find out about how WWTW supports people to gain employment on their website.

Service Leavers Adjustments Passport

The Service Leavers Adjustments Passport can help people employed in the armed forces. It shows what help and changes are available to help their transition into civilian employment. It gives the service leaver a record of adjustments and/or other requirements they may need in civilian employment. To find out more visit the Service Leavers Adjustments Passport page.

Guidance for employers

Read the employer's guide to RAF Reserves.


Volunteering with us has lots of benefits. It can help you to:

  • gain confidence
  • meet new people
  • make a difference to people and your community
  • become part of the community
  • learn new skills and take on new challenges

Find out about our volunteering roles.

Volunteer with an armed forces charity

You can volunteer at a range of armed forces charities including: