Help with finance and debt for the armed forces community

The armed forces community is financially self-supporting and resilient. We want to offer you the support and guidance you need to make sure you're financially stable.

Armed forces compensation

Find out more about claiming for compensation with GOV.UK, if while serving in the armed forces:

  • you got an injury or illness
  • an existing condition you had was made worse

Constant Attendance Allowance

You can apply for Constant Attendance Allowance if you're disabled and need daily care.

Armed Forces Independent Payment (AFIP)

AFIP is an additional allowance for service personnel and veterans seriously injured as a result of service on or after 6 April 2005.

Discounts on services and goods

There are lots of offers and discounts available to our armed forces community. Take a look at what's on offer in the armed forces discounts section to see how much you can save on services and goods.

Financial help if you're disabled

Find out about the wide range of financial support that relates to disability. This includes benefits, tax credits, payments, grants and concessions. Find out more about the benefits you could receive.

You may qualify for reduced price travel with a disabled person's travel pass or disabled person's railcard.

Find out more about our Blue Badge scheme which provides a badge so you can park in marked parking spaces closer to the place you're visiting.

Grants and personal funds

Barnsley's ex service personnel fund

This fund aims to help people who have served in our armed forces and who are now in need of help. This could be through disability, sickness, old age or poverty. Small grants are available which are assessed by the trustees.

You can get more advice on the fund and help to complete the application form from the fund caseworker, Danny Beever on 07938 009495. He may ask for estimates or invoices if the application is for a specific purpose. You may need to provide details including bank statements to support your application.

You can download Barnsley's ex-services application form to apply and return it with any supporting information. The address is: Council Governance Unit, Barnsley Council, PO Box 364, Barnsley, S70 9GG. You can also email it to our governance team at


Department for Work and Pensions can offer financial support and guidance to the armed forces community. Find out more about DWP's financial support.


Turn2Us provides a benefits calculator, a grant search and advice about armed forces pension and compensation schemes.

Find out more about Turn2Us, or use their find an advisor service.

Army Benevolent Fund (ABF The Soldiers Charity)

Award grants to serving soldiers, army veterans and immediate family members to support their wellbeing and independence. Visit Army Benevolent Fund.

The RAF Benevolent Fund

Can provide financial assistance to current and former members of the RAF, and their families.Visit RAF Benevolent Fund.

The Royal Navy Benevolent Fund

Financial assistance for people serving or who have previously served as warrant officers or below and their dependents. Visit Royal Navy Benevolent Fund.

Help for Heroes

Potential financial assistance for the armed forces community to make life easier or access required care after illness or injury. Visit Help for Heroes grants.

The Veteran’s Charity

Assistance, for veterans, with essentials including food, utilities, clothing, household items and communication costs. Call 01271 371001 or visit Veteran's Charity.

Help to manage your money

Citizens Advice

If you're currently serving in the armed forces, are a veteran or dependent, there is a range of financial advice for you.

Find out more about:

Forces Compare

Forces Compare help those who serve, or have served, to find the best insurance and finance options. This is done through a panel of specialist lenders. Find out more about Forces Compare.

Joining Forces Credit Union

The Ministry of Defence is supporting three credit unions to join forces. They offer saving accounts and loans to the armed forces and its veterans:

Find out more about the Joining Forces Credit Union service.


BIBA provide a list of specialist insurance companies for the armed forces.

Keeping your home warm

The following service can help you keep your home warm and make sure you’re not spending too much on your energy bills:

  • Warm Homes Service offer advice on keeping your home warm, staying healthy and saving money on your energy bills.

Help with the rising cost of living

Many people are having difficulties due to the rising cost of living. You might not realise you're entitled to some help. You can find out about the range of local help that's available, as well as national support, on our More Money in Your Pocket webpage.

In response to the cost of living crisis, the government has also launched a campaign to let everyone know what help is available. This is called Help for Households.

Finance related advice and support

SSAFA – support, including financial support, for the serving personnel, veterans, and their families.

Royal British Legion – support to the armed forces community who may need financial support.

GOV.UK – financial support for reservists when mobilised.

MOD - financial top tips for service personnel.

Forces Families Finance – financial advisers dedicated to supporting serving personnel, veterans, and their families.

RAF Families Federation – information and resources to manage finances now and in the future -

Army Families Federation – financial information for army families.

The Veterans Gateway information – information on armed forces pensions.

The Veterans Gateway finance – financial and money advice for veterans.

Veterans UK - compensation, pension, and welfare support to serving personnel and veterans. Call the free helpline 0808 1914 218.

Officer’s Association – welfare and financial help and advice for former officers, their families, widows/widowers, and dependants. Call 020 7808 4175.

Discover my Benefits – information for serving army personnel and their partners about financial help available.

Armed Forces Community HQ – support to access professional advice and sources of emergency funding.