Personal information requests

COVID-19 and information requests

Due to the Coronavirus (COVID-19), we are currently experiencing an increased volume of customer contacts which is having an impact on our ability to respond within our usual published timescales.

To support the services that need our help most, we have suspended the delivery of our Information Request service. This includes the processing of all new and existing Freedom of Information, Environmental Information Regulation and Subject Access Requests from 24 March 2020 until further notice. Please do not submit any new requests as these will not be dealt with. If you have previously made an Information Request and not yet received a response, please be aware that we will be unable to issue a response within the agreed statutory timescale.

We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause and thank you for your patience during these unprecedented times.

For further information about compliance in handling Information Requests during the COVID-19 pandemic, you can visit the Information Commissioner's Office website. 

Request to see your personal information

You can ask us for a copy of the information that we hold about you. To do this you'll need to submit your request in writing. This can be done by completing our My Information, My Rights request form, or by writing to us. Please remember to provide us with two forms of identification as specified on the form.

If you are acting on behalf of another person, you must show that you have authority to do so. You can complete our My Information, My Rights request form or you can send us a letter of consent from the individual whose details are being requested.

For a request relating only to CCTV images, please use the CCTV images form, or write to us. Please remember to submit your photographic ID with your request, and if your appearance has significantly altered in any way from your ID please let us know as we'll need to be able to identify you in the footage. 

We'll provide you with a copy of your information free of charge. However, we may use our discretion to ask you to pay for any administration costs where we feel the request to be unfounded, unreasonably excessive, or if we have previously provided you with the same information. We'll always tell you if there will be a charge before any work is undertaken.

You can also contact us if you want to:

  • know more about how the council uses your information. Before you do this, you may want to look at our privacy notice.
  • ask us to correct any information you believe we hold which is incorrect or incomplete. If we're not able to do this we'll always tell you why.
  • ask us to delete the information we hold about you, or ask us to stop processing the information. If we're not able to do this we'll always tell you why.
  • let us know if you'd like your views to be considered when we make automated decisions using the information we hold on you.

To ask us about any of the above you need to submit your request in writing. This can be done by completing our My Information, My Rights request form or by writing to us. Please remember to provide us with two forms of ID as specified on the form.

When we receive your request

  • We'll acknowledge receipt of it within five days.
  • We’ll always deal with your request as quickly as possible, and hope to do this within one month from the date you asked for it. There are occasions when we may need to take longer to handle your request, especially where your request is complex or there is a large volume of information held. If this is the case we'll always tell you as soon as possible, but within the one month time frame. All requests should be responded to within three months of the request being received.
  • We'll, where possible, provide you with the information you have requested in an electronic format, sent via secure means.

If you need any advice or assistance in completing and submitting a request, please contact the Customer Feedback, Information and Improvement Team on (01226) 773555 or email

What to do if your request is turned down

There may be some situations where we have to withhold information, for example, if it is about third party individuals. Information that is withheld is known as a 'redaction' and if any redactions are made we'll explain why.

If we do not provide the information you requested, you think there is something missing, or you do not agree with the redactions made, you can ask for a review of the decision by:

If you're not satisfied with our response you may contact our Data Protection Officer on

If you're not satisfied with the way we have handled your information, the Information Commissioners Office (ICO) is the UK’s independent authority upholding information rights in the public interest and can be contacted:

  • by telephone on 0303 123 1113 (local rate) or (01625) 545745 if you prefer to use a national rate number
  • by email to (please include your telephone number)
  • in writing to Information Commissioner's Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire SK9 5AF