Barnsley Metropolitan Borough Council are responsible for a wide range of services including:
- Council Tax and business rates collection
- Planning applications
- Waste collection and disposal
All our transactions are done via the internet or over the phone.
Barnsley Metropolitan Borough Council is Payment Card Industry Data Security Standards (PCI DSS) compliant and adheres to all requirements for this standard. The PCI DSS is an information security standard designed to reduce payment card fraud by increasing security controls around cardholder data. We follow the PCI DSS when we are collecting payments from you. Your payment information is securely processed by a third party in accordance with these standards on behalf of the council.
We process and store your transaction information alongside your personal information. As part of the payment process this is stored in line with the both the council's Records Management Policy and legislative requirements regarding the retention of financial records.
Read our privacy notice for more information about how we use your personal data.
Barnsley Metropolitan Borough Council does not store cardholder data. Card payments are accepted:
- Online (payments handled by Smart Pay Fuse)
- On the phone (customers enter card details via their phone keypad and are handled via our contact centre telephony platform)
- Face to face in retail stores (eg museum gift shops) and our registrar's office (for births, deaths and marriages)
- By market rent officers who take card payments from stall holders via mobile card terminals from store holders in various locations in the borough
Our website redirects customer to Barclays Smart Pay Fuse to capture card details. No card data is captured or returned on the website itself, only a confirmation that payment has been made is returned.
Standalone terminals are a mix of 4G and phone line connected devices. Our POS tills are connected to point-to-point encryption terminals. No cardholder data is collected or stored in the till software - only an amount is sent to the terminal. These devices are on an isolated virtual network with limited access to required URLs and IPs.
Where customers input their card details with the keypad, this is not stored in our environment. Call handlers do not ask customers to read out card details so they are not captured in call recordings or give opportunity for them to be written down.
Our correspondence address is: Barnsley MBC, Financial Services, PO Box 634, Barnsley, S70 9GG.