If you're a homeowner, you may need planning permission as well as building regulations approval for your build. Planning permission is about the design of your building and buildings regulations ensure it's safe, healthy and accessible. You can read more about the difference between planning permission and building regulations on the Local Authorities Building Control (LABC) website.
When you've decided what project you're going to carry out, we can look at your plans and tell you what approval you'll need. Our expertise can save you a lot of money in the long-term and that's why most people choose to come to us for practical advice.
The projects you'll need approval for
Building regulations approval is needed for most construction projects. The links below take you to the advice pages on the LABC website, where you can find out what plans you'll need and watch video tutorials to guide you through the process:
- most new buildings except agricultural buildings
- garages that are attached to your house and large detached garages
- all extensions no matter how small
- some conservatories and porches
- roof extensions, balconies and terraces
- basements and basement extensions
- all loft conversions
- most garage conversions
- barn conversions
- subdividing a house into flats
- converting flats back into a house
- most building alterations and adaption to both commercial and domestic buildings
What you can do without approval
You can carry out some work without notifying us including:
- most repairs, replacements and maintenance work (except for replacing a combustion appliance that stores oil or fuel, electrical fuse boxes or windows)
- making extra plug sockets, switches of lighting points if they are added to an existing circuit
- replacing bathroom suites
If you're not sure whether you'll need building regulations approval you can contact us for free technical advice before you start your project,
Call into see us at Westgate Plaza One (ground floor reception area), Westgate, Barnsley, S70 2DR, for free advice about building regulations, or to leave us your application and plans.
We're there every weekday (except bank holidays) from 9.30am to 1pm and you don't need to make an appointment. Find out where the nearest town centre car park is for your visit.