Building Control

It's crucial that you contact us before you start any building work. This is to make sure that you consider any building regulations that may apply.

We can take legal action against anyone who hasn't applied for the right consents.

If you do need building regulations approval you'll need to apply to us. We'll then check your project at various stages. When it's finished we'll issue the completion certificates you'll need to show your build complies.

Your building regulations application and completion certificate are vital documents. You'll need them if you're planning to sell your property in the future or remortgage it. If you don't have the relevant paperwork you won't be able to provide it solicitors or estate agents. You'll need these during the sale of your property.

Retrospective inspections of unauthorised building work

In most cases we can inspect work that has been carried out. This is to find out if it complies with building regulations. The inspection can include opening up building works. For example, digging a hole next to the foundations or removing sections of wall and ceiling. You'll be liable for the cost of this. You'll also need to pay for work that needs to be done for the building work to be approved. 

If it's found to be correct and in compliance with the building regulations, we can issue a regularisation certificate. This acts in the same way as a completion certificate.

If you're buying or selling a house that has had unapproved building work done on it, you'll need a certificate. In this case, you should fill in our regularisation of unauthorised building work application form. If the works were completed before 11 November 1985 you'll need to contact us.

We'll need the following details:

  • a statement of the unauthorised works
  • one copy of a plan showing the unauthorised work
  • the date the work was completed

You can see a full list of our building regulation fees and charges for our services. This list includes inspections.

Please leave us some feedback