Building control

Application forms and fees

You can download and fill in the appropriate application form from the list below for the work you're undertaking. Please either post it to the address on the form or scan and email it to

You can also use Planning Portal or Submit-a-Plan to send your full plans, building notice or regularisation applications electronically. If you’re not registered you’ll need to do this first to set up an account which should only take a few minutes before you can get started. 

Where necessary the information in your application may be shared with external organisations (eg Yorkshire Water, fire service, Environment Agency etc) to assist in determining your application. The information may also be shared with other Barnsley Council services (eg Regulatory Services, Highways etc). Our privacy policy provides further details.

Full plans and building notices

You can use our full plans application form for all types of building work and we'd recommend that you use it for more complex work, for example a housebuilding project. If it's a commercial development you must use our full plans application. This is a more detailed application and minimises the risk of work not being compliant with regulations.

You can use our building notice application form for smaller projects such as extensions, garages and internal alterations.

Replacement doors and windows

You'll need to download the replacement window application and the supplementary information and return them both to us.  

Electrical safety

You'll need to use the electrical safety application form if you're intending to carry out electrical work in a domestic property and you're not a registered electrical installer.

To regularise unauthorised works 

Use our regularisation application form for works carried out after 11 November 1985, or contact us regarding works before this date.

Fees and charges

There's a fee for most applications; see our current building regulation fees and charges.

You can pay for your application online. Please select ‘building control fees’ in the ‘payment type' field and make sure to input your application number (if known) or the site address in the 'application number or site address' field. When your payment is made, please make a note of your transaction/payment reference.

If you're paying a Building Control invoice, please choose the 'invoices starting 3 or 9' option from the ‘payment type’ field.

Alternatively, you can also pay by card by calling (01226) 772678. Please have your email address to hand when you call so we can send you a receipt.

Please leave us some feedback