Building Control

It's important to contact us before you start any building work to make sure that you consider any building regulations that may apply.

We have enforcement powers to take legal action against anyone who hasn't applied for the necessary consents for their build.

If you do need building regulations approval you'll need to apply to us. We'll then check your project at various stages, and when it's finished we'll issue the completion certificates you'll need to show your build complies with regulations.

Your building regulations application and completion certificate are important documents; you'll need them if you're planning to sell your property in the future or remortgage it. If you don't have the relevant paperwork you won't be able to provide solicitors or estate agents with the documents they'll need during the sale of your property.

Retrospective inspections of unauthorised building work

In most cases we can inspect work that has been carried out to find out if it complies with building regulations. This inspection can include opening up building works, for example digging a hole alongside the foundations or removing sections of wall and ceiling. You'll be responsible for the cost of this and any remedial work that needs to be done for the building work to be approved. 

If it's found to be satisfactory and in compliance with the building regulations we can issue a regularisation certificate that acts in the same way as a completion certificate.

If you're buying or selling a house that has had unapproved building work done on it and need a regularisation certificate you should fill in our regularisation of unauthorised building work application form. If the works were completed before 11 November 1985 you'll need to contact us.

We'll need the following information:

  • a statement of the unauthorised works
  • one copy of a plan showing the unauthorised work
  • the date the work was completed

You can see a full list of our fees and charges for our services, including inspections.

Please leave us some feedback