Barnsley Town Hall

Council tax

Information about your council tax and claiming council tax support.

Top tasks and services:

All services in this section

Who has to pay council tax

Council tax is charged on all domestic properties in England and Wales, including houses, flats, maisonettes, caravans, and houseboats.

Council tax bands and charges

Your property is banded into one of eight valuation bands (A to H), which determines the amount of council tax you have to pay.

Council tax band reductions for disabled people

If you’ve had to adapt your home because someone living there has a disability, you may be able to get a council tax reduction.

Council tax discounts

Depending on your circumstances, you may be able to get a discount on your council tax bill.

Council tax exemptions

In some cases, a property may be exempt from council tax.

Council tax appeals

You can ask us to reconsider any decisions we make about your council tax if you don’t agree with:

Council tax refunds

If your council tax account is in credit, you can claim a refund.

What happens if you don't pay your council tax

It’s your responsibility to pay your council tax bill on time. If you don’t, you could lose your right to pay by instalments.

Register for council tax or tell us about a change in your circumstances

We need to know about any changes to your circumstances to make sure that you’re paying the right amount of council tax.

Apply for council tax support

If you’re on a low income, you may be able to get help to pay your council tax bill through the council tax support scheme.

How non-dependants affect your council tax support and housing benefit

Someone over 18 who lives with you may affect how much housing benefit and council tax support you get. This is because they’re expected to pay towards your housing costs and council tax.

Council tax support and housing benefit reviews

If you’re receiving council tax support or housing benefit, we’ll review your claim every April.

Backdated council tax support and housing benefit

We normally start to pay your council tax support or housing benefit from the Monday after we receive your claim, but sometimes, we’ll backdate your claim to start earlier.

Council tax and housing benefit fraud

We’ll investigate and take action against any kind of fraud and corruption.

Council tax support appeals

If you don't agree with a decision we've made about your housing benefit or council tax support you can ask us to look at your claim again.

Council tax and housing benefit change in circumstances

You’ll need to tell us if you move house and about any other changes in the circumstances of anyone living in your home.

Contact council tax and benefits

For any help with benefits, council tax, business rates or payment enquiries, you can contact us online or by telephone.

Sign up or check your online accounts

You can see all of your benefits, council tax and business rates online by signing up for an account.

SOCITM Visit Counter