Householder Planning Applications

This section provides basic guidance on planning permission for people who are considering extending or altering their homes.

From 1st October 2008 new regulations were introduced that affect householders. Generally, the size of minor alterations that can be carried out without needing planning permission has been expanded. However, there are new controls to ensure that new areas of hard surface do not increase the risk of flooding in an area.

All the following areas of development may be subject to a planning application:

  • New builds
  • Conservatories
  • Decking
  • House extensions
  • Flue, chimeny or soil and vent pipe
  • Fuel tanks
  • Garage conversions
  • Loft conversions
  • Patios and driveways
  • Paving and front gardens
  • Roofs

Do I need planning permission?

The Planning Portal's interactive visual household guide gives advice on common household projects.

The links below will take you to the interactive house:

These guides will help you determine if planning permission is required for any of the works you propose.

Free Householder Enquiry Service

We strongly recommend that you use our pre-application enquiry service to determine whether your specific proposal would be permitted development or would need planning permission. By using this service you will receive written confirmation about whether or not your proposal needs planning permission and also advice from Building Control about their requirements. This reply is particularly useful for future transactions relating to the sale or purchase of your property.

To help us advise you about whether you need planning permission, download and complete the householder enquiry form.

Householder Enquiry Form

Duty Officer

We currently also provide a duty officer every morning 9am to 1pm in the Civic on Eldon Street, where you can get free professional advice from one of our planning officers.

Submitting a Planning Applications

For help with submitting a planning applications, please click the following link: Submitting an Application

Viewing Planning Applications On Line and Submitting Comments

You are now able to view any validated planning applications on line via Planning Explorer. This system also enables you to submit any comments on indivdual planning applications.

Contact Details

Any householder enquiry forms should then be sent to the following address:

Development Management, Barnsley Council, Planning and Transportation, PO Box 604, S70 9FE

Please note: We aim to respond by letter within of receiving the completed forms.

SOCITM Visit Counter