The council has enforcement officers who can investigate and respond to any complaints about noise and pollution from construction. We don't deal with this as part of our Building Control service.
Building work should normally only take place on weekdays between 7.30am and 6pm and on Saturdays between 8.30am and 2pm. Whilst it's usual to expect some noise, dust and other disturbance from a building site, if it's excessive and is causing a problem for people in the local area you can report it.
If the developer has provided contact details for the site manager, you should get in touch with them in the first instance to discuss your concerns. If this hasn't resolved the problem you can report it to us. We'll visit the site and advise the developer how to keep disruption to a minimum. We can also take legal action if necessary.
Report noise or pollution
You can use our online form to report concerns about a building site.
We'll need to know:
- the address/site/area where the problem is
- when you first noticed it and how long it's been an issue
- how it affects you/the area where you live
- any action you've taken to resolve it, by contacting the developer etc
- your name, address and contact details - you can't make an anonymous report to us. We won't share your details with the developer you're reporting.
Call into see us at the Central Library in Wellington House for free advice about building regulations, or to leave us your application forms and plans.
We're there every weekday from 9.30am to 1pm and you don't need to make an appointment.