The council has enforcement officers who can investigate and respond to any complaints about noise and pollution from construction. We don't deal with this as part of our Building Control service.
Building work should normally only take place on weekdays between 7.30am and 6pm and on Saturdays between 8.30am and 2pm. Whilst it's usual to expect some noise, dust and other disturbance from a building site, if it's excessive and is causing a problem for people in the local area you can report it.
If the developer has provided contact details for the site manager, you should get in touch with them in the first instance to discuss your concerns. If this hasn't resolved the problem you can report it to us. We'll visit the site and advise the developer how to keep disruption to a minimum. We can also take legal action if necessary.
Reporting noise or pollution
You can use our online form to report concerns about a building site.
We'll need to know:
- the address/site/area where the problem is
- when you first noticed it and how long it's been an issue
- how it affects you/the area where you live
- any action you've taken to resolve it, by contacting the developer etc
- your name, address and contact details - you can't make an anonymous report to us. We won't share your details with the developer you're reporting.
Call into see us at Westgate Plaza One (ground floor reception area), Westgate, Barnsley, S70 2DR, for free advice about building regulations, or to leave us your application and plans.
Find out where the nearest town centre car park is for your visit.
The drop in service is currently suspended until further notice due to COVID-19 (coronavirus). Please do not attend Westgate Plaza as the service will not be available. We'll keep this situation under review.