If you're concerned about building work or a development that you think may be unauthorised, you can report it to us.
You can tell us about:
- building work that does not have planning permission
- unauthorised changes of use (eg a garage being used as living accommodation, or running a business from home)
- non-compliance with approved plans and conditions (use Planning Explorer to view planning applications, plans and conditions)
- unauthorised work to a listed building, a conservation area or a protected tree
- advertisements that don't have planning permission
You need to tell us your details to make a report and we aim to respond to you within five working days. We won't tell the developer who's made the report. Please note, we’ll only investigate genuine reports; if you submit a report using false details we won’t be able to look into this.
Please read the guidance in our planning enforcement policy; it explains what we can and cannot consider, as well as explaining how we'll deal with your enquiry.
What happens next
We'll look into the details of your report to see if there's been a breach of planning permission and investigate the work if needed.
Depending on the type of planning breach we might give the developer formal advice or give them time to rectify the issue before we take any official enforcement action.
We aim to respond to your report within five working days and will keep you updated throughout the process.