Yorkshire Common Permit Scheme

The Yorkshire Common Permit Scheme is designed to minimise any delay, disruption and inconvenience to road users caused by roadworks.

This scheme applies to about 25% of the streets in Barnsley. Check our list of permit streets to see which they are.

More information about the scheme is included in our supplementary information.

Who needs a permit

Anyone carrying out works in a permit street must apply for a permit, which sets out how they'll minimise disruption to road users and pedestrians throughout the period of the works. This includes utility companies and Barnsley Council and its partners. 

A permit isn't necessary for activities involving builders’ skips and scaffolding, where the existing arrangements will be maintained.

Charges and payment

We review our permit fees every year - the current fees are listed below.

We'll invoice you monthly for the cost, which you can pay by debit or credit card.

Activity Permit fee
Provisional advance authorisation £86
Major activity permit £168
Standard activity permit £96
Minor activity permit £52
Immediate activity permit £45

Conditions relating to immediate works

During the period between you starting the roadworks and your permit being granted, you have to carry out a number of immediate activities. There are certain conditions that apply to these immediate activities, which you have to meet.

Ask us about the scheme

If you can't find the information you need in the documents below, you can ask us any questions about the scheme using our online enquiry form.

 Additional information about the scheme

Permit scheme deregulation information