We’re responsible for maintaining and repairing roads and pavements across the borough.
You can check for roadworks in your area using the following links:
- Search for roadworks in your area
- View roadworks near to you on our full screen map
- Download a PDF of roadworks that may cause traffic delays
To report a problem with roadworks, please use our online form below.
Before you start the form
Don't use this form to report a problem with temporary traffic lights.
Filling in the form
Make sure you include:
- the exact location of the roadworks, such as street name, nearest house number, street light number, road junction or landmark (shop, school, church)
- a description of the works
- the date that you first noticed the problem
What happens next
- We'll investigate the issues you've reported and let you know about any action we take.
- If the roadworks are being carried out by a third party organisation, we'll tell you how to contact them.
- We'll contact the organisation within five working days, or 24 hours if it's an emergency, to agree actions to resolve the issue.
Section 58 notices
Section 58 of the New Roads and Street Works Act 1991 is a legal notice which is served on all the 'statutory undertakers' who carry out work in the Barnsley area. Statutory undertakers can include companies like National Grid Gas, Northern Gas Networks, British Telecom, Northern Powergrid, Yorkshire Water and Virgin Media.
The notice allows councils to protect sections of the highway from certain works, following substantial road works, such as resurfacing or reconstruction.
We provide advance notice of these restrictions, so that works promoters (utility companies or private contractors/developers) can arrange to carry out their work before the restriction comes into force. This process promotes better works planning and co-ordination, minimises disruption to road users, and helps to prolong the life of the roads.
The restrictions can last up to five years following the completion of the works. Certain works are exempt from the Section 58 restriction, such as emergency works, for example gas escapes and the installation of new services.
You can view Section 58 restrictions here by choosing:
- customize my map
- operational information
- Section 58 restrictions