We carry out roadworks as part of the essential repair and improvement of our roads.

Public utility companies also carry out roadworks to maintain essential gas, water, electricity and phone services. Some of these works will require the use of temporary traffic lights, temporary closure of a road, or for a diversion route to be signposted.

You can download a list of current roadworks that may cause delays or check the map below to see all roadworks currently in place across the borough.

Getting permission to carry out roadworks

Unless you have a legal right (as a 'statutory undertaker') to carry out works on a road, you must get a licence from us to do so. You can read more about this on our licences for roadworks page.

Section 58 notices

Section 58 of the New Roads and Street Works Act 1991 is a legal notice which is served on all the 'statutory undertakers' who carry out work in the Barnsley area. Statutory undertakers can include companies like National Grid Gas, Northern Gas Networks, British Telecom, Northern Powergrid, Yorkshire Water and Virgin Media. 

The notice allows us to protect sections of the highway from certain works, following substantial roadworks, such as resurfacing or reconstruction.

We provide advance notice of these restrictions, so that works promoters (utility companies or private contractors/developers) can arrange to carry out their work before the restriction comes into force. This process promotes better works planning and co-ordination, minimises disruption to road users, and helps to prolong the life of the roads.

The restrictions can last up to five years following the completion of the works. Certain works are exempt from the Section 58 restriction, such as emergency works, for example gas escapes and the installation of new services.

You can view Section 58 restrictions here by choosing:

  • customise my map
  • operational information
  • Section 58 restrictions