How to order a new or replacement bin, or a part for a bin if yours is broken.
Different bins for different things
You should have four coloured bins and a white bag to help you separate and recycle your rubbish:
- green bin for garden waste
- blue bin for cardboard
- brown bin for cans, plastic bottles and glass bottles/jars
- grey bin for general waste
- white bag for paper
Getting a new or replacement bin, or parts for your bin
You can apply for a new bin or bin parts if:
- you move into a property and you don’t have all the bins you need
- your bin goes missing
- your bin gets damaged and needs new parts or a replacement
We can deliver the new one, or you can pick it up yourself from Smithies Lane depot.
If you want us to deliver your new bin, we’ll try to drop one off within 10 working days of receiving your request. There will be a charge for doing this. Until you get your new bin, you can leave up to three securely tied sacks of rubbish for us to collect on your usual collection day.
If you prefer to pick your new bin up, it won’t cost you anything. Just call into the depot on any weekday between 9am and 3pm. You’ll be asked for proof of your address, so take one of the following with you:
- current council tax bill
- utility bill (dated in last three months)
- recent bank statement
- driving license
- rent book
- recent credit agreement
There’s also no charge for replacement parts and we’ll fit them on delivery.
How much we charge to deliver a new bin
If you’re 65 and over or have already joined our help to put your bin out scheme, it won’t cost you anything.
If you’re under 65, it will cost you £15.
Call 01226 772045 or email email@example.com.
Getting an extra grey bin
If you’re already making full use of all our recycling bins and you still have too much household rubbish to fit into your grey bin, you can apply for an extra grey bin, providing there are five or more people living permanently in your home.
You’ll need to provide proof that everyone in your home lives there permanently (unless they’re named on the council tax account).
You can provide any one of the following for each person:
- adults - a bank/credit card statement or utility bill, both dated in the last three months
- children - a copy of the annual child benefit award letter or a copy of a bank statement showing the amount of child benefit paid and the address to which it’s paid
- students - a bank statement dated in the last three months or a letter from higher education establishment confirming attendance and home address
If you apply online, you can scan any supporting evidence and upload it as part of your application.
Alternatively, you can submit the online form, then post your documents to:
Waste Management Services,
Smithies Lane Depot
All the documents must clearly show your address and quote the reference number given to you when you completed the application.
If you apply by phone, we’ll give your your reference number and tell you where to send your evidence.
If you have problems providing any of the above, please contact us.
Once we receive your documents, we’ll visit your property within four weeks. If you're using your existing bins correctly, we’ll leave you an extra grey bin.
The extra bin remains our property and we can remove it without notice and without refunding your delivery payment if we find:
- you're not recycling
- you're using the extra bin in the wrong way
- you gave false information when requesting the extra bin
- your circumstances change and you no longer have five or more people permanently living in your home
Change in circumstances
If you change your address you must take your extra bin with you.