Health and wellbeing services

Taking care of those who have taken care of us. There are a range of services and support to help with your health and wellbeing.

Alcohol and substance misuse

Barnsley Recovery Steps can help you to recover from and be free from drug and alcohol dependency. 

You can find information, help and support about alcohol misuse through the NHS, who can provide alcohol support and signpost you to organisations that can help.   

If you need help and treatment for drug addiction, you're entitled to NHS care.  There is also support for family and friends.  

Groups and activities 

Attending social groups can help your health and wellbeing.  You can take a look at the events and activities taking place in and around Barnsley for ex armed forces to help get you in touch with like minded people.  

Healthcare - NHS armed forces

When you leave the army, your healthcare is the responsibility of the NHS.  You can take a look at the different services that are offered for veterans on the NHS and information about priority treatment.  You can also find out the answers to questions you may have.  

If you're worried about something in particular, you can take a look to find services within the NHS.  

Remember to let them know you're ex-armed forces as this may help you access services and treatment. 

NHS Health Check

The NHS Health Check is for all adults in England aged 40 to 74. It checks your circulatory and vascular health and what your risk of getting a disabling vascular disease is. Find out more about the NHS Health Check.

Veterans and Reserves Mental Health Programme

The Veterans and Reserves Mental Health Programme (VRMHP) provides mental health assessments for veterans and reservists who have concerns about their mental health as a result of service.

Veterans’ Mental Health Transition, Intervention and Liaison Service (TILS)

The Veterans’ Mental Health Transition, Intervention and Liaison Service (TILS) is a service to support veterans and their families. The service developed from recognition that military veterans may find it difficult to access traditional NHS services following time spent in a military environment and acknowledges that a stigma still surrounds mental health issues and aims to reduce this by providing more accessible pathways into services.

Hearing loss 

If you've served in the UK forces and now have hearing loss, tinnitus or both, you may be able to get help to access the Royal British Legion's veterans hearing fund.  

You can call 0333 455 9116 or visit veterans hearing support to find out more.

Help if you're disabled 

You may qualify for reduced price travel with a disabled person's travel pass or disabled person's railcard, you may also want to look at the Blue Badge scheme, which provides a badge so you can park in marked parking spaces closer to the place you're visiting. 

If you're disabled and need help with everyday living our adult social care team is the first point of contact to discuss your support needs on (01226) 773300. Please make yourself known to a member of the team that you are ex-armed forces.

You can also find out about any financial help you may be able to get.  

You can take a look at our disabilities and sensory impairment section to get more information. 

Register with a doctor and dentist

You’ll need to register with a GP and dentist close to where you live. You can search to find a GP and find a dentist. Once you’ve found one close to you, you can give them a call to register and book an appointment. Remember to tell them that you've served as this will help your GP to better understand any health conditions and refer you if appropriate to dedicated services for ex-forces.  

It's important to give your new GP a copy of your military medical centre paperwork. This will help to make sure that your military health records are transferred to your NHS health record. 

Support for armed forces families

Keeping Families in Mind is an established and innovative service from Sheffield Mind, funded by the Ministry of Defence, and working in partnership with Rotherham and Barnsley Mind. 

The service offers free, confidential counselling from a qualified (BACP registered) therapist to the families of serving and veteran armed forces personnel living in South Yorkshire regardless of where their relative is currently living or stationed.

Visit Keeping Families in Mind for more information.

Support for people with physical injuries

BLESMA: the limbless veterans

BLESMA is dedicated to helping service and ex-servicemen and women who have suffered life-changing limb loss or use of a limb, an eye or loss of sight. BLESMA supports these men and women in their communities throughout the UK.

BLESMA works for members when the conflicts that have affected their lives are no longer the focal point in the nation's media. Modern medicine transforms the physical injury, but it's a complicated process to treat the emotional trauma and related lifelong problems.  

Telephone: 0208 590 1124

Blind Veterans UK

Blind Veterans UK believe that no one who has served our country should battle blindness alone. Blind Veterans UK provide vision impaired armed forces and national service veterans with the person-centred services and tailored support they need to discover life beyond sight loss.

Blind Veterans UK's work ranges from helping veterans re-learn vital life skills and providing them with the tools they need to be independent in their own homes, to offering new learning, training and recreation opportunities and providing long-term nursing, residential and respite care.

Telephone: 020 7723 5021

Help for Heroes

Help for Heroes provides a range of support and services for wounded, injured and sick service (regular and reserves) and ex-service personnel who have suffered illness or injuries in serving the nation. Help for Heroes does this through services such as:

  • recovery centres in Tidworth (Wiltshire), Catterick, Colchester and Plymouth
  • the Hidden Wounds service (psychological wounds)
  • welfare support
  • grants to individuals and other charitable agencies
  • fellowships of ‘Band of Brothers’ and ‘Band of Sisters’

Telephone: 0845 6731760

Support for people with mental health issues

Alright Pal

Starting a conversation about mental health and wellbeing is the first step towards suicide prevention.  Talking about mental health doesn't have to be scary and can actually have a massive impact on someones life. Find out more about our Alright Pal campaign.  


Togetherall is an online mental health support service for veterans and those currently serving, their families and carers, as well as other communities. It’s an online support group which aims to reduce the stigma of mental ill health.

It's free and anonymous for service and ex-service personnel. All they need to do is register.

CALM – The Campaign Against Living Miserably

The Campaign Against Living Miserably, or CALM, is a registered charity, which exists to prevent male suicide in the UK. It offers support to men of any age, who are down or in crisis, through their helpline and website.

Telephone: 0800 585 858

Combat Stress

Combat Stress is the UK's leading veterans' mental health charity. It currently helps more than 4400 veterans to rebuild their lives. It looks after veterans with a wide range of mental health issues, offering two integrated services:

  • short-stay clinical treatment at one of their specialist centres in Ayrshire, Shropshire or Surrey
  • community outreach, to bring clinical care and welfare support to veterans in their local areas.

Treatment and support services are always free of charge, and are proven to work.

Telephone: 0800 138 1619 or 01372 587000

Help for Heroes – Hidden Wounds

The Help for Heroes psychological wellbeing service, Hidden Wounds, can help veterans and armed forces' families living with anxiety, depression, stress, anger or alcohol. It's here to help individuals find ways of dealing with frustration and to help them to start enjoying everyday life again. Free and confidential support is delivered by psychological wellbeing practitioners (PWPs) by phone, Skype or face to face.

Telephone: 0845 6731760


Committed to supporting people and helping them gain good mental health, MIND offer a wide range of services. You can get in touch with Rotherham and Barnsley MIND for help and advice.

Keeping Families in Mind is run by Sheffield MIND and is funded by the Ministry of Defence.  It has been designed to provide support to families who are struggling with the demands of military life, particularly following the deployment of a family member.

NHS mental health services

NHS mental health services are provided throughout England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. These include IAPT (improving access to psychological services), which provide a front line service and access to other mental health services and support. 

The NHS also offer complex mental health treatment for the armed forces community. Find out more about the NHS's mental health services.


The Samaritans is a confidential service to talk to any time you like, in your own way. 

The Samaritans’ vision is that fewer people die by suicide. The Samaritans work to alleviate emotional distress and reduce the incidence of suicidal feelings and suicidal behaviour. They do this by being available 24 hours a day to provide emotional support for people who are struggling to cope, including those who have had thoughts of suicide.

Telephone: 116 123

TIL service

The Veterans' Mental Health Transition, Intervention and Liaison (TIL) Service (formerly known as London Veterans’ Service LVS) offer free mental health support to ex-serving members. Find out more about the TIL service.

The Veterans’ Mental Health High-Intensity Service (HIS)

The Veterans’ Mental Health High-Intensity Service (HIS) provides care and treatment for armed forces veterans who are in a mental health crisis and need urgent help. It works with local mental health services that are already treating a veteran, to improve experiences and outcomes for them.

Referrals can be made to HIS from a GP or other health service and information for professionals are provided in the handout”.

Find out more information for professionals and support organisations