To advertise the application you must clearly display a notice of a size equal or larger than A4 (on pale blue paper) printed legibly in black ink or typed in black in a font size equal to or larger than size 16. This should be immediately on or outside the premises for a period of no less than 28 consecutive days, starting on the day following the day on which the application was given to Barnsley Metropolitan Borough Council and during which time interested parties may make representations.
For properties with a frontage onto a highway more than 50 metres long, the notice should be displayed at 50 metre intervals. Additionally, you must publish a notice in a local paper such as the Barnsley Chronicle. This should be on at least one occasion during the period of 10 working days, starting on the day following the day on which the application was given to Barnsley Metropolitan Borough Council.
Content of notice (for premises display and advertisement in local paper)
The notice should clearly contain a brief summary of the application setting out details as follows:
- proposed relevant licensable activities to be carried out on or from the premises
- the name of the applicant
- the postal address of the premises, if any, or if there is no postal address for the premises a description of those premises sufficient to enable the location and extent of the premises to be identified
- the postal address where the Barnsley Metropolitan Borough Council register is kept and where the record of the application may be inspected (The Licensing Duty Office, Westgate Plaza, Westgate One, Barnsley, S70 2DR)
- the dates between which members of the public and responsible authorities may make representations to Barnsley Metropolitan Borough Council (see advertising, above)
- a statement that representations shall be made in writing
- a statement that it is an offence knowingly or recklessly to make a false statement in connection with an application and the maximum fine for which a person is liable on summary conviction for the offence (£5000)
To assist applicants you can download and amend our template for a notice of application to be displayed at both the premises and advertised in a newspaper with a local circulation. Use Microsoft Word to amend the parts highlighted in yellow to make the notice relevant to your application, prior to displaying at the premises or advertising.