Council land

We have to publish details of all our land and building assets, in accordance with the Local Government Transparency Code, including: 

  • all service and office properties occupied or controlled by user bodies, both freehold and leasehold
  • any properties occupied or run under Private Finance Initiative contracts
  • all other properties they own or use, for example, hostels, laboratories, investment properties and depots
  • garages unless rented as part of a housing tenancy agreement
  • surplus, sublet or vacant properties
  • undeveloped land
  • serviced or temporary offices where contractual or actual occupation exceeds three months
  • all future commitments, for example under an agreement for lease, from when the contractual commitment is made

For each land or building asset, we have to publish the following information in one place:  

  • unique property reference number
  • unique asset identity - the local reference identifier used by the local body, sometimes known as local name or building block. There should be one entry per asset or user/owner (eg on one site there could be several buildings or in one building there could be several users floors/rooms etc – where this is the case, each of these will have a separate asset identity). This must include the original reference number from the data source plus authority code
  • name of the building/land or both
  • street number or numbers - any sets of 2 or more numbers should be separated with the ‘-‘ symbol (eg 10-15 London Road)
  • street name – this is the post road address
  • post town
  • UK postcode
  • easting and northing (geocoding in accordance with ISO 6709 Standard Representation for Geographic Point Location by Coordinates, usually a centre point of the asset location)
  • map reference - local authorities may use either Ordnance Survey or ISO 6709 systems to identify the location of an asset, but must make clear which is being used.  Where an Ordnance Survey mapping system is used (the grid system) then assets will be identified using Eastings before Northings.  Where geocoding in accordance with ISO 6709 is being used to identify the centre point of the asset location then that reference must indicate its ISO co-ordinates.
  • whether the local authority owns the freehold or a lease for the asset, and for whichever category applies, the local authority must list all the characteristics that apply from the options given below:
    • freehold assets: occupied by the local authority; ground leasehold; sub leasehold; licence; vacant (for vacant properties, local authorities should not publish the full address and should only publish the first part of the postcode)
    • leasehold assets: occupied by the authority; ground leasehold; sub leasehold; licence
    • leasehold assets: free text description, for example rights of way, access etc
  • whether or not the asset is land only (without permanent buildings) or it is land with a permanent building

You can find the required information in our Barnsley Council land and buildings document and on our map below.

Authority land and property map

View full-screen map

We're not required to publish information about the following:

  • social housing
  • rent free properties provided by traders (such as information booths in public places or ports)
  • operational railways and canals
  • operational public highways (but any adjoining land not subject to public rights should be included)
  • assets of national security
  • information deemed inappropriate for public access as a result of data protection and/or disclosure controls (such as refuge houses)

Find out more