The Barnsley Permit Scheme is designed to minimise any delay, disruption and inconvenience to road users caused by roadworks.
This scheme applies to all streets in Barnsley.
More information about the scheme is included in our supplementary information.
Who needs a permit
Anyone carrying out works in a permit street must apply for a permit, which sets out how they'll minimise disruption to road users and pedestrians throughout the period of the works. This includes utility companies and Barnsley Council and its partners.
A permit isn't necessary for activities involving builders’ skips and scaffolding, where the existing arrangements will be maintained.
Charges and payment
We review our permit fees every year - the current fees are listed below.
We'll invoice you monthly for the cost, which you can pay by debit or credit card.
Permit fees until 31 March 2023
|Type 1/2 and T/S streets||£102||£198||£113||£61||£53||£45|
|Type 3/4 and non-T/S streets||£68||£143||£75||£45||£40||£35|
Permit fees from 1 April 2023
|Type 1/2 and T/S streets||£105||£213||£121||£65||£57||£45|
|Type 3/4 and non-T/S streets||£74||£150||£75||£45||£40||£35|
Conditions relating to immediate works
During the period between you starting the roadworks and your permit being granted, you have to carry out a number of immediate activities. There are certain conditions that apply to these immediate activities, which you have to meet.
Ask us about the scheme
If you can't find the information you need in the documents below, you can ask us any questions about the scheme using our online enquiry form.
Additional information about the scheme
- Format for permit reference (YPAN001)
- Display of permit reference for immediate works (YPAN002)
- Permit invoicing (YPAN003)
- Conditions for immediate activities (YPAN004a)
- Consultations and publicity guide (YPAN005)
- Attachments (Non EToN) (YPAN006)
- Early start process - prior to making a permit application (YPAN007)
- Dealing with changes to conditions for works on site (YPAN008)
- Permit refusals (YPAN009)
- Permit variations (YPAN010)
- Compliance inspections (YPAN011)
- Authority imposed variations (YPAN013)
- Works by a second promoter (YPAN014)
- Permit durations (YPAN015)
- Collaborative working (YPAN016)
- Frequently asked questions
- Statutory instrument
- Yorkshire Common Permit Scheme for Road Works and Street Works
- Elgin roadworks
- Yorkshire Common Permit Scheme (Barnsley) Y6 evaluation report