Advice for landlords

We support private landlords (and agents) in a number of ways to make sure their properties are safe and good quality.

Our landlord accreditation scheme offers benefits to landlords as well as tenants. We also administer mandatory licences for large houses with multiple occupants. If you own an empty property we may be able to help bring it back into use.

Remember you’re legally obligated to put your tenants’ deposits in a protection scheme.

If you’re a landlord or managing agent you can find out more about your rights and responsibilities below, and you can find more detailed information on the government’s website.

Private sector housing repairs

As the landlord, it’s your responsibility to maintain the property and carry out repairs. It’s also your responsibility to make sure the property meets safety standards. You should give your tenants 24 hours’ notice before visiting the property.

Your tenants may get in touch with us if you take too long to carry out repairs. If we inspect the property and find unacceptable hazards we’ll contact you to discuss the options available. If informal action doesn’t resolve the issue we can escalate the complaint by using enforcement procedures.

Increasing your property’s energy efficiency - grants available towards new gas central heating systems

From 1 April 2018 it will be unlawful to let any property on a new tenancy if the property has an energy performance certificate rating of F and G. From 2020 this law will be extended to all existing tenancies. A civil penalty of up to £4000 will be imposed for breaches so it’s important to review the energy efficiency of your properties early and plan for any required improvements.

If you're looking to carry out improvements visit our Better Homes Barnsley website for advice on making your properties more energy efficient and keeping your tenants warmer through the winter, or call 0800 597 1500.

For a limited time we can offer grants to landlords with properties that don't have gas central heating. To qualify for the grant, tenants must be on a low income and have gas fires, electric storage heaters, or coal fires as their main source of heating. You can apply for a grant on the Better Homes Barnsley website or by calling 0800 597 1500.

Checking your tenant's right to rent

You must check that a tenant or lodger can legally rent your residential property in England if their tenancy starts on or after 1 February 2016.

Within 28 days before the start of a new tenancy, you must make checks for:

  • people aged 18 and over living in your property, whether they’re named in the tenancy agreement or not
  • all types of tenancy agreements, written or oral

Tenants in some types of accommodation (eg social housing and care homes) won’t need to be checked.

For further information visit the government’s website