Flooding can happen at any time of year so it's important that you're always prepared.
- Find out if you're at risk of flooding.
- Keep an eye on the latest weather warnings from the Met Office if heavy rain's expected, or sign up for flood warnings online if you're in an area at risk.
- Check your insurance details- your insurer will normally be your first point of contact if your home or belongings are affected.
- Sandbags can help to keep water out for short periods and filter out muddy sediments found in flood waters. We don't provide sandbags but they're cheap and readily available from DIY stores. You can read more about using sandbags here.
- Visit the Environment Agency website for general advice about flooding or call them on 0845 988 1188.
Flood prevention for developers
Developers should consider the flood risk implication of any new development before submitting a planning application for a new site.
You should consult the Local Plan to identify suitable areas for new developments and consider the use of sustainable drainage systems (SuDS) to manage surface water run-off from new development sites.
Areas at risk of flooding
You can check which areas have been flooded before and those at risk of flooding in the future in the following preliminary flood risk assessments (PFRAs):
- Barnsley PFRA report (PDF 494KB)
- Barnsley PFRA appendix 1 (PDF 183KB)
- Barnsley PFRA appendix 2 annex 1 (PDF 3300KB)
- Barnsley PFRA appendix 2 annex 2 (PDF 5230KB)
- Barnsley PFRA appendix 2 annex 3 (PDF 1872KB)
- Barnsley PFRA appendix 3 annex 1 (PDF 913KB)
- Barnsley PFRA appendix 3 annex 2 (PDF 175KB)
- Barnsley PFRA appendix 4 (PDF 211KB)
You can also check the government's 'floods destroy campaign' website for more information.
Local Flood Risk Management Strategy
As the lead local flood authority for the borough, we have a duty, under the Flood and Water Management Act (2010), to produce a Local Flood Risk Management Strategy to reduce flood risk from surface water, ordinary watercourses, groundwater and small reservoirs.
The strategy and appendices are included below.