Temporary pavement cafe licences

You can apply for a temporary pavement cafe licence due to the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, to help get your businesses back up and running. The licence cost is £100 for permission to be granted.

The licence will:

  • last until 30 September 2024
  • allow you to place tables and chairs on the pavement for customer use
  • not need planning permission or scaled architectural plans

If you wish to serve alcohol you must also contact our Regulatory Services team on (01226) 773555.

Conditions of the scheme

Businesses must operate the pavement cafe in accordance with the national conditions for pavement licences. You must also operate in accordance with the following local conditions:

Operation of service

The pavement cafe must have core hours between 8am to 10pm (outside of these hours is by consent only) and be in line with government legislation.

Set up of the outside area

The pavement cafe must:

  • keep within the shop frontage
  • provide pedestrian barriers with a lower tap-rail where possible
  • have enough space to set out tables and chairs, and must leave a minimum of 2 metres for pedestrians
  • have no music, live broadcasts or sports commentary 
  • have no barbecues, fire pits or naked flames
  • control/clear litter and debris in the immediate area
  • understand the placement of items other than tables and chairs is prohibited, including structures, gazebos, patio heaters etc
  • remove all tables and chairs from the outside area, and thoroughly cleanse the highway of all litter/debris within 30 minutes of the maximum operating hours
  • ensure the provision of tables and chairs on the highway will in no way adversely affect the setting of any listed building, conservation area or surrounding public area


The pavement cafe must:

  • have undertaken appropriate risk assessments 
  • supply copies of public liability insurance (minimum indemnity £5 million)
  • remove any item placed on the highway if requested under statutory powers
  • be prepared to move items if required for statutory undertakers and highway works
  • implement any requirements from the government regarding coronavirus (COVID-19)

How to apply

Complete our online application to apply for a licence. In the online form you need to upload:

  • a plan, including the dimensions in metres, of the site to be occupied. The plan must include the location of any lighting columns, bollards, bins etc in the vicinity.
  • a copy of your valid public liability insurance certificate (minimum £5 million).
  • your risk assessment for the premises.

You also need to:

  • fill out a site notice and display this prominently in a public-facing window of the premises on the day that you submit your application
  • pay the £100 application fee. (We'll contact you to take the payment when we receive your application. This must be paid by debit/credit card.)

Your application will be published on the council’s website for public consultation purposes.