Frequently asked questions about planning

Before contacting us, please check our frequently asked questions below as it may be we have already answered your query.

Can you provide informal planning advice prior to application?

Unfortunately, we cannot provide informal advice on projects or proposals prior to applying for planning permission. However, you can view pre-application information by visiting our find out if you need planning permission page for homeowners or our pre-application advice for developments for commercial proposals. Alternatively you can use our chargeable pre-application services.  

Pre-application services

We recommend that you ask us for pre-application advice to make sure that you have selected the correct application, and for information on the different types of application and consents. There is a charge for this service. Choose the advice relevant for you from the following:

How do I submit planning applications?

Full information about the planning process, including fees, application forms and what happens after you submit can be found on our apply for planning permission page.

All planning and building control applications must have dimensions clearly marked on plans/sections and elevations.

If you are submitting a householder planning application, it would also help us if you included recent photographs of the building subject to the application and its immediate surroundings.

Payments for planning applications can be made online by choosing the relevant option under the planning and buildings section of our pay for it page.

When will you validate my planning applications?

We'll register your application when we receive it and then write to you when we've checked that we have all the information we need, and tell you the name of the person who'll be dealing with your application. It will also say whether your application will be delegated or referred to the Planning Regulatory Board.

Due to the volume of submissions we are currently receiving, there may be a delay in validating your application. You will receive an acknowledgement once your application has been validated. 

Can I get a status update for my planning application?

If you need an update on the status of your planning application, please contact the case officer dealing with your application. Their details should be on the letter we sent you and they can also be found by looking on our Planning Explorer

If your application is not showing on Planning Explorer, or you have not received a letter from us, please be patient as your application may still be being booked onto our system.

How do I get a planning conditions check report?

We sometimes grant planning permission subject to the development meeting certain conditions and checks will need to be made to make sure the development, or parts of it, are acceptable in planning terms.

This is a chargeable service that must be applied for separately. Please see Apply for a planning conditions check report for further details and to apply.

How do I comment on planning applications?

We can only accept your comments (representations) in writing. You can do this in the following ways:

  • through Planning Explorer
  • email us
  • write to: Planning Development Management, PO Box 634, Barnsley, S70 9GG (please quote the planning application reference number)

Make sure you've looked at the application form and plans before making any comments.  Please ensure to use the Planning Application information for your comments to us only and not for any other purpose.

You must provide your name and address with your comments for us to consider them. You should also be aware that we make all comments we receive publicly available, so anyone (including the person who applied for the planning permission) can ask to see or copy the comments.

Please note that ‘in confidence’ and anonymous comments will not be considered, and any comments submitted this way will not be counted as a formal representation.

Your comments will be passed on to the case officer dealing with the application and will be considered as part of the decision making process. 

It is not possible for us to acknowledge or respond to individual representations directly, therefore please consider any automatic response as your acknowledgement of receipt.

How do I get a Section 106 compliance report?

We can provide reports on the current status of Section 106 agreements.

This is a chargeable service that must be applied for separately. Please see our Section 106 agreements page for further details and to apply.

How do I contact building control?

Our building control team continue to offer site inspections and are able to answer any building control enquiries. You can contact them online or call (01226) 772678.

If you are requesting an inspection where it will be necessary to inspect works internally, please be advised that specific COVID-19 risk mitigation measures are required to be in place. Therefore, in these circumstances, a surveyor will be in contact with you to advise of the required measures.

How do I apply for a dropped kerb?

Visit our dropped kerbs page to find more information including licences, costs and whether you will need planning permission.

Who do I contact about land ownership and boundaries?

If you have any queries regarding land ownership or boundaries, please refer your queries to the relevant area below:

Who do I contact about roads?

If you have any highways queries, please direct these to the relevant section below: